OR  

Your playing style

Discuss anything about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in here.

Your playing style

Postby Shinimiras » February 11th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Oblivion allows great freedom. It accommodates all kinds of players and doesn't force you down a rigid path. I have my own distinct playing style but I'd also like to know how you guys are playing this game.

I don't grind in Oblivion. I got enough of that in Morrowind where you had to build a strong character to be able to survive certain areas/places. Now that the opposition you face is controlled by your character's level I don't have to keep track on skill increases and the like. I love to just hike or ride wherever in Cyrodiil, admiring the sights the game makers have toiled for. Skulking around in forts and caves backstabbing bandits and necromancers with Dawnfang/Duskfang is also fun. Finding awesome loot is a bonus with my main character since her gear is already set; often there is just the slight problem of too much loot to carry :lol:

I play with the difficulty set to normal as the battles aren't the main thing in the game for me, although the controls in the X0 are battle-friendly. The taunts of the hostile people make me crack up on occasion (reminds me of the guards in the Thief series: good times). Killing sprees aren't for me either and I often get more satisfaction getting through a dungeon without being seen by anyone, although with my main chara that's rather easy these days.

So, anyone else wishes to reveal their darkest secr-- playing style?
In addition to trekking in Cyrodiil, I also raise dragons.
Shinimiras
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 4
Characters: 4

Re: Your playing style

Postby Tom » February 11th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Since I have achieved the rank of Grey Fox in the Thieves Guild, and my Marksman and Sneak skills are major skills each at level 100, I enjoy sneaking into places and stealing good items. Mostly, though, I tend to put on all my enchanted armor (which is enchanted with fortify feather enchantments) and my Grey Fox helmet, and then I go to fight enemies in ruins, caves, mines, and forts for their weapons. I am a big merchant, and I love picking up almost every weapon or piece of armor that I find to take it home and sell it later. You can probably tell that I'm really into all that by seeing that I wear a lot of enchanted armor, which boosts my feather and allows me to carry a lot more than normal. I also am trying to complete my collection of every full light armor and heavy armor set. I am close to completing my collection, and once it is complete, I may start wearing a different set of armor each day as I please just to show them off to my comrades. ;)

I also enjoy roaming through the vast regions of Cyrodiil, and I love taking hikes through the swamps and forested areas of the southeastern region. I always like finding new and interesting-looking places, and I am always looking for new quests to do for fun. Before I completed the main quest, I made it my goal to close every Oblivion gate that I found on my journeys. As a result, I have closed around 30 Oblivion gates with my main character. It was quite easy to rush through each Oblivion world to get to the sigil stone, though, because my acrobatics skill was always very high, so I could just jump past enemies and up the ramps in the towers without having to do much fighting. I'm also an avid Nirnroot collector (even though I've already completed the associated quest for the Nirnroot), and I like to collect any one that I find. Sometimes I'll travel the coastlines of Cyrodiil and the Niben Bay just looking for green-topped glowing Nirnroots around. As you can probably tell, I greatly admire the graphics and the environments of Oblivion very much.

Well, that's pretty much it for my main character. I enjoy the game and the freedom that it provides the player, and I always like exploring new places, especially some of the places that bring back good memories from when I first started playing.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Xavier » February 11th, 2009, 9:44 pm

I'll pretty much do anything in Oblivion. When I go in caves, forts, ruins, and mines, I usually sneak around with my night eye on with my bow. That way I can silently take out enemies silently, without stirring up the hive. I like exploring around in the wilderness, there is always something interesting going on out there. Going up in the snowy mountains is fun too. 8-) Stealing stuff is something I also love to do. I love breaking in to people's houses while they are asleep and stealing whatever necessary. Collecting things is fun to, like all the armor sets and weapons sets.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby iron spartan101 » February 12th, 2009, 6:46 pm

i spend most my time looking for new places where i can expand my collection of items which i am focusing on jewllery (pretty) i love walking around and when a highwaymen jumps it thrills me to beat him down and take all his stuff. I like owning and buying things. i dont have a set routine or way of doing things i do whatever i feel.
iron spartan101
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 67
Characters: 1

Postby chimera » February 18th, 2009, 2:24 pm

I use 3rd person view unless shooting arrows. My favorite place is throwing ulfgar off his lighthouse. In about 10 seconds he comes back to life in an angry mood; he has some hilarious insults then. Also the psychic guards won't appear and arrest you for attacking him.
chimera
Beggar

Forum Posts: 10
Characters: 2

Postby KJ Angerfist » February 18th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I like to wear heavy armor(Daedric) all the time and kill innocnt people in cities.
I will make it my job to keep these forums clean....FROM YOU!
KJ Angerfist
Citizen

Forum Posts: 33
Characters: 3

Postby Boulderheart » February 20th, 2009, 12:57 am

Well the highest levle i ever acheived is 16 so i am a kinda noobish, however i enjoy the occassional game, and lately i have created a paladin charater. I tend to Complete the arena, do some dungeons/Side quests for some cash, start the main quest, hide away any sigil stones, then i will join the fights/ Mages guild for good enchants and more weapons.
Boulderheart
Beggar

Forum Posts: 16

Postby Hope of Sparta » February 22nd, 2009, 7:13 am

I try to play the samurai route on this game since I grew watching tons of Afro Samurai and Samurai Champloo. You know? Quest to be the greatest warrior/swordsman of the land.

I walk around, make a living stealing other people's crops, do random quests so people know who I am, and face overwhelming odds in battles. Just the other day, while on super hard difficulty, I decided to take on a group of bandits in this fort that was near some lake. I allowed them to chase me outside. So, in the bright daylight, I saw 7 bandits ready to strike me down. 2 archers and 5 warriors. Mind you, my character only had 40% armor rating b/c I never bothered to repair it. So the first thing I do, I run straight for an archer and whip out my daedric longsword. I roll right between the group of warriors, jump in the air and use a paralysis slash in mid-air. The archer is paralyzed and I decide to focus on the other archer. I run towards him, block an attack from 1 of the bandits, get lucky as one bandit moves in the way of the 2nd archer's arrow, and then poison my blade with a heavy damage health effect. I roll past the archer and strike at his back with my blade. I start running, taking cover behind whatever I can find, including a wild brown bear. When I turn around, I start for the group again, with the bear hot on my trail. The first archer is up again, and the 2nd archer has lost about a third of his health. However, instead of attacking me, the warriors attack the bear. The bear takes out 2 warriors and severly damages a third before dying. One of the archers tries to fire at me, and ends up killing the wounded warrior. The 2 warriors start to focus on me. I run into the nearby lake. Both warriors follow me as I go deeper and deeper into the water. That's when I use a slew of heavy burden poisons on one of the warriors who can no longer move. I then start to swim upward and with the small amount of time I have, I focus on one of the archers. It appears to be the wounded archer, whom I make short work of with a few poisoned slashes. Just as the other archer is about to shoot me, I roll backward...right into the other warrior. Reacting quick, I block the warrior's mace and get in a few quick slashes. I manage to knock the guy to about halfway health. I start rolling backwards over and over again as the guy swings away. The warrior gets hit twice by arrows. It happens to knock his health down enough where I can deal a quick finishing blow. As I see, the last bandit/archer, I start running towards him. I dodge every one of his arrows and get withn striking distance. I attack a few times to force him to switch to a dagger. As I keep slashing away, that's when I almost soil myself out of surprise. From the distance, I see another bandit. It's the same bandit that I had overencumbered near the lake bottom. Yeah, he's still alive and he looks pissed. I try to slash the archer as many times as possible. I almost kill him, but then the warrior comes within striking distance. I would poison the archer but I already used all of the useful poisons during the majority of the fight. Regardless, I have to have a straight up fight with 2 guys at the same time now. I rush back towards the lake so that the distance I put between myself and the archer is enough to get him to switch back to his bow. Success! Now, all I need to worry about is the warrior as long as I keep him between me and the archer. We trade hits and he gets in a few. However, I'm not as worried much about my health as I am about my surroundings. If I keep backing up, I start noticing that rocks are behind me and may throw me off. Just as I am about to run out of places to back up to, I roll to the side and take a huge hit from the warrior's mace and another from the archer's arrow. My guy is about 40% health left. I trade some more blows with the awrrior and finally kill him. I have about a quarter of my health left. Just as I start for the last bandit/archer, I take another arrow. My guy loses balance and I know the next arrow will kill me. As I see my character'slife flash before his eyes, and try to get ready for that last arrow, the archer dies just as he is about to shoot his arrow. Confused, I slowly approach his body. Guess what had happened? As the archer had been focusing on my character, he had failed to notcie a rat approaching behind him. I am guessing the rat may have come from one of the nearby ruins. The archer's health had been so low, the rat was able to make the finishing blow. Owing my life to the rat, I decided to spare it and I ran to a nearby inn to tend to my wounds.That day, my character had fought like a lion, and had been saved by a mouse...or in this case, a rat.

Symbolic? I don't know. Maybe.
Hope of Sparta
Perma Banned
Beggar

Forum Posts: 23
Characters: 0

Postby iron spartan101 » February 22nd, 2009, 12:12 pm

Hope of Sparta wrote:I try to play the samurai route on this game since I grew watching tons of Afro Samurai and Samurai Champloo. You know? Quest to be the greatest warrior/swordsman of the land.

I walk around, make a living stealing other people's crops, do random quests so people know who I am, and face overwhelming odds in battles. Just the other day, while on super hard difficulty, I decided to take on a group of bandits in this fort that was near some lake. I allowed them to chase me outside. So, in the bright daylight, I saw 7 bandits ready to strike me down. 2 archers and 5 warriors. Mind you, my character only had 40% armor rating b/c I never bothered to repair it. So the first thing I do, I run straight for an archer and whip out my daedric longsword. I roll right between the group of warriors, jump in the air and use a paralysis slash in mid-air. The archer is paralyzed and I decide to focus on the other archer. I run towards him, block an attack from 1 of the bandits, get lucky as one bandit moves in the way of the 2nd archer's arrow, and then poison my blade with a heavy damage health effect. I roll past the archer and strike at his back with my blade. I start running, taking cover behind whatever I can find, including a wild brown bear. When I turn around, I start for the group again, with the bear hot on my trail. The first archer is up again, and the 2nd archer has lost about a third of his health. However, instead of attacking me, the warriors attack the bear. The bear takes out 2 warriors and severly damages a third before dying. One of the archers tries to fire at me, and ends up killing the wounded warrior. The 2 warriors start to focus on me. I run into the nearby lake.
Both warriors follow me as I go deeper and deeper into the water. That's when I use a slew of heavy burden poisons on one of the warriors who can no longer move. I then start to swim upward and with the small amount of time I have, I focus on one of the archers. It appears to be the wounded archer, whom I make short work of with a few poisoned slashes. Just as the other archer is about to shoot me, I roll backward...right into the other warrior. Reacting quick, I block the warrior's mace and get in a few quick slashes. I manage to knock the guy to about halfway health. I start rolling backwards over and over again as the guy swings away. The warrior gets hit twice by arrows. It happens to knock his health down enough where I can deal a quick finishing blow. As I see, the last bandit/archer, I start running towards him. I dodge every one of his arrows and get withn striking distance. I attack a few times to force him to switch to a dagger. As I keep slashing away, that's when I almost soil myself out of surprise. From the distance, I see another bandit. It's the same bandit that I had overencumbered near the lake bottom. Yeah, he's still alive and he looks pissed. I try to slash the archer as many times as possible. I almost kill him, but then the warrior comes within striking distance. I would poison the archer but I already used all of the useful poisons during the majority of the fight. Regardless, I have to have a straight up fight with 2 guys at the same time now. I rush back towards the lake so that the distance I put between myself and the archer is enough to get him to switch back to his bow. Success! Now, all I need to worry about is the warrior as long as I keep him between me and the archer. We trade hits and he gets in a few. However, I'm not as worried much about my health as I am about my surroundings. If I keep backing up, I start noticing that rocks are behind me and may throw me off. Just as I am about to run out of places to back up to, I roll to the side and take a huge hit from the warrior's mace and another from the archer's arrow. My guy is about 40% health left. I trade some more blows with the awrrior and finally kill him. I have about a quarter of my health left. Just as I start for the last bandit/archer, I take another arrow. My guy loses balance and I know the next arrow will kill me. As I see my character'slife flash before his eyes, and try to get ready for that last arrow, the archer dies just as he is about to shoot his arrow. Confused, I slowly approach his body. Guess what had happened? As the archer had been focusing on my character, he had failed to notcie a rat approaching behind him. I am guessing the rat may have come from one of the nearby ruins. The archer's health had been so low, the rat was able to make the finishing blow. Owing my life to the rat, I decided to spare it and I ran to a nearby inn to tend to my wounds.That day, my character had fought like a lion, and had been saved by a mouse...or in this case, a rat.

Symbolic? I don't know. Maybe.

Dude you should write a book about what you do in oblivion each day it would be right kool and i would definatly buy it
iron spartan101
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 67

Postby Xavier » February 22nd, 2009, 6:18 pm

Wow, that was cool. Took me by surprise at the end there. I wish stuff like that would happen to me. :)
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Next

Return to Oblivion Discussion