OR  

List of Anticipated Games

Discuss all topics related to gaming and non-Elder Scrolls games in here.

List of Anticipated Games

Postby Xavier » June 23rd, 2009, 11:16 pm

I figured I'd make a list that we could build of all the highly anticipated games that are coming out whenever, so we can keep track of the them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Anticipated Games:

Half-Life 2: Episode Three / Half-Life 3
Developer: Valve
Genre: First Person Shooter, Action/Adventure
Release Date: TBA - Maybe 2013, but who knows at this point?

Summary: Half-Life 2: Episode Three / Half-Life 3 is the continuation in the episodic series of Half-Life 2. There isn't much to say about this game, but I can say that it will most likely take a big part up in the snowy mountains that are seen in Episode Two.

Reflection: It makes me angry that Valve will not say one thing about this game. They haven't released any screenshots, trailers, gameplay videos, etc. The only thing they put out there was some concept art. If you clicked that link you just see Gordon in a citadel-like environment with a crowbar and a Combine Advisor close to him. It looks pretty cool and all, but honestly, that's it? Here is the other concept art with a bunch of advisors. I want to hear some actual news about the game. Since the Orange Box was released in October 2007, they have said next to nothing about this game.

Update (November 24th, 2012): Well, this game STILL isn't out. It's been over 5 years since the previous title. Recently though, Gabe has more or less confirmed a "Source 2." Read about it here. I added the title "Half-Life 3" because most people, including me, agree that at this point it could be called either of the two. It's generally agreed that it's going to be Half-Life 3 though, since the episodes were supposed to be quickly released, which this game obviously did not accomplish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Released Anticipated Games:

Left 4 Dead 2
Developer: Valve
Genre: First Person Shooter, Co-Op Survival Horror
Release Date: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 (RELEASED)

Summary: For those of you who don't know what Left 4 Dead is, it's a 4 player co-op survival horror. You and three others go through an intense campaign killing zombies, and trying to make it to the end so you can escape. It is great fun, and now they are coming out with a sequel. Left 4 Dead 2 takes place a little after Left 4 Dead 1 and is set in New Orleans, Louisiana. There are four new survivors and a bunch of new content, including new special infected (which are more powerful types of zombies), new weapons, melee weapons, a new AI director, and much more. If you want to know more read this post I made.

Reflection: I personally think that this game is going to be awesome. It also made many fans angry because Valve promised a lot of new content for Left 4 Dead 1, and now all of the new content is coming out in a full-priced sequel. Those fans also think that it's just a reskinned Left 4 Dead 1 and it doesn't deserve to be a new sequel. All of the content that was released for Left 4 Dead as DLC was pretty much what should've been shipped with the game when it came out. There is a whole boycotting group for Left 4 Dead 2 with over 30,000 people that aren't going to be buying the game. Then there is the Pro Left 4 Dead 2 group who encourage Valve to release this game. For me, I am pro Left 4 Dead 2 all the way.

Black Mesa: Source
Developer: Black Mesa Development Team
Genre: First Person Shooter, Action/Adventure
Release Date: Friday, September 14th, 2012 (RELEASED)

Summary: Black Mesa: Source is a mod made by third party developers. It is a total remake of Half-Life 1 with Source Engine graphics and physics. That means they are remaking Half-Life 1 with Half-Life 2 graphics. Here are some screenshots of the level differences: Screenshot 1, Screenshot 2, Screenshot 3, Screenshot 4. The major differences are very noticeable and astounding. If you want to see how all of the the new maps look for this game compared to the original, go to this link and check it out. In addition to them remaking the single player, they are also making the multiplayer with it, with all of the old multiplayer maps remade. They are even going to have co-op in this game so you can play through Half-Life 1 with some of your friends.

Reflection: Many of you probably don't even know what this is, but it's really important to Half-Life fans. Anyway, ever since Half-Life: Source came out, fans were disappointed that it wasn't a remake of Half-Life 1 with Half-Life 2 graphics. It's understandable that Valve didn't have time to do that though. So, a team was formed to make just that very thing. So it makes me very happy that they are making this. I really hope it does come out sometime this year, because this game has been in development since a little after Half-Life 2 came out.

Update (November 24th, 2012): Game is released, and is fantastic. Although it is missing the Xen chapters. This game is apparently going to be officially released on Steam sometime in the future, and Xen will be included.

Diablo III
Developer: Blizzard
Genre: Role Playing Game
Release Date: Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 (RELEASED)

Summary: Diablo III is an RPG that has a medieval type of environment with the armor, swords, etc. It is similar to World of Warcraft but has a way different style. It kind of has a bird's eye view when you play. Here is a screenshot of what the view looks like. Diablo III takes place 20 years after the events of Diablo II. Warriors that survived the events from Diablo II have gone insane from their ordeals and it is up to a new generation of heroes to face the forces of evil threatening the world of Sanctuary. Changes in the inventory have been made, you can now have armor and leggings. Items only take up one slot now instead of a certain amount of slots based on the size of the item. There have been a several other changes. There are 5 new characters that you can play as. So far, only three have been revealed: Wizard, Witch Doctor, and Barbarian. They only plan to bring the Barbarian back from the old game. You can also make your class Male or Female.

Reflection: Many loved Diablo II, so this game should be awesome. I just really, really hope we don't have to pay monthly for it like World of Warcraft. That would just be stupid. I also hope that the graphics won't have similarities to World of Warcraft, because those graphics just look kind of cartoony and I hope this game goes for a more serious and realistic look to it.

Update (November 24th, 2012): Game was a disappointing to many, including me. Wasn't nearly as great as Diablo 2.

Modern Warfare 2
Developer: Infinity Ward
Genre: First Person Shooter, Action/Adventure, War
Release Date: Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 (RELEASED)

Summary: This is the sequel to the popular game, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It's pretty much just a portrayal of wow a modern day war would be. Modern Warfare 2 is set several years after Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You play as Sergeant "Soap" MacTavish who has been promoted to Captain since the last game. You will lead an elite, multinational commando unit, Task Force 141, to counter the resurgent Russian Ultranationalist organization.

Reflection: I have been looking forward to this game because I really liked the campaign from CoD4. This game seems to have enhanced graphics and the weapons seem to be a little more futuristic, but it does take place several years after, so yeah. I can't wait to see the multiplayer. Hopefully they will actually have Prestige Mode in the PC version of this game.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Developer: Bethesda
Genre: First Person, RPG
Release Date: Friday, November 11th, 2011 (RELEASED)

Summary: Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat Alduin, a Dragon who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim, upon the continent of Tamriel, and the planet of Nirn. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series returns in Skyrim; the player can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely. Skyrim was a critical and commercial success, shipping over 7 million copies to retailers within the first week of release. *Plot taken from Wikipedia.*

Reflection: Of course, this is what this whole website is about so this is a highly anticipated game for all of us. Some of the things I hope that are in this game are: Dual Wielding of weapons, a better magic system with cooler visuals, your character can't be good at everything, and more armor and weapon types. I am guessing that this game will be announced at E3 next year.

Update (November 24th, 2012): Well, all of my hopes mentioned above for this game came true. That's great. Game is fantastic. Not really much to say that hasn't already been said.

-------------------------------------------------

I will edit this post with new games if I missed any. I will also later edit these if there is more information on them or if they have been released. If they are released, I will strike there name off the list and show the final release date.

Thanks for reading. You can discuss if you like, and please post if I missed anything.

Complete List:
1. Half-Life 2: Episode Three
-----------------------------------------------
(RELEASED) 2. Left 4 Dead 2
(RELEASED) 3. Black Mesa: Source
(RELEASED) 4. Diablo III
(RELEASED) 5. Modern Warfare 2
(RELEASED) 6. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Re: List of Anticipated Games

Postby The Ninja » June 24th, 2009, 12:16 am

Modern Warfare 2 FTW!!!! I can't wait for that game to come out.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Kestral » June 24th, 2009, 3:12 am

1. L4D2 will piss me off, because of Steam. :/
2 + 3. See above. They'll probably be great games, but Steam...
4. Because of what I've heard of the Diablo franchise, I may want to empty several months of my life into it. :p
5. Looking forward to it.
6. Did you rank TES:V as a first person shooter? >.>
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby Xavier » June 25th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Kestral wrote:6. Did you rank TES:V as a first person shooter? >.>

Lol, I was hesitant about it, but it is first person. Do you think I should take it off and just call it a RPG?

Edit: Eh, I just changed it to First-Person instead. That's what Wikipedia did.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Taylor » June 26th, 2009, 7:09 pm

BioShock 2
Developer: 2K Marin
Genre: First-Person Shooter, Survival Horror
Release Date: February 9th, 2010

Plot: Taken from Wikipedia.

Set ten years after the events of BioShock, a number of towns around the world have been reporting kidnappings of young girls, with witnesses reporting the attackers as both extremely fast and thin, with red lights often reported as either being worn by the attacker or spotted nearby in the sea. This single attacker is in fact the Big Sister, one of the Little Sisters from the first entry in the series, who has mechanized herself in a similar fashion to the Big Daddies and has become the ruler of the underwater city of Rapture. Under her control, the city has reached an equilibrium in which she "actively maintains the city's infrastructure, and viciously hunts anyone down who disrupts the balance of power"; Tenenbaum, discoverer of ADAM and original creator of the Little Sisters, also states that the Big Sister has begun kidnapping girls to turn them "into creatures like her". Tenenbaum also states that she is a Golem character, hinting that her actions could be being manipulated by a different force.

Reflection: This game will kick ass.
Taylor
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45

Postby chez » June 29th, 2009, 12:52 am

pretty sad that all of those games are sequels, goes to show the state of the game industry these days, where fantastic original titles are overshadowed by the yearly by the book sequels

so [censored] your generic [censored] i'm looking forward to brutal legend and prototype [censored]

tim schafer is the [censored] man, seemingly every game he makes eye contact with turns out brilliant

yeah prototype's already out but i don't have it so [censored] you

also The Last Guardian by Team Ico should be incredible assuming I can play it if i get a PS3 by the time it comes out.

Don't bypass the censors, they're there for a reason. ~ Teinaava
chez
Perma Banned
Beggar

Forum Posts: 12

Postby The Ninja » June 29th, 2009, 3:05 am

chez wrote:A whole bunch of cursing...

Good grief! Chill out! The #1 rule is to NOT use foul language. Jeez...
The Ninja
Squire

Postby chez » June 29th, 2009, 3:37 am

i don't swear cause i'm pissed it's just the way i like to conduct myself on the internet

It's a pretty stupid rule to be honest, this site is about Oblivion, an M rated game where you can kill and steal from people. I don't see who's going to be offended by swearing.
chez
Perma Banned
Beggar

Forum Posts: 12

Postby Teinaava » June 29th, 2009, 3:41 am

chez wrote:It's a pretty stupid rule to be honest, this site is about Oblivion, an M rated game where you can kill and steal from people. I don't see who's going to be offended by swearing.

Oblivion was originally rated T, but the ESRB changed it because you could make mods allowing for nudity, so it's not really that bad. Also, this is a family-friendly site and as such, you should use family-friendly language.
Teinaava
Past Contributor
Protector

Forum Posts: 172
Characters: 3

Postby The Ninja » June 29th, 2009, 3:45 am

Teinvaava wrote:...ESRB changed it because you could make mods allowing for nudity

:shock: Good lord! What makes people do such things?!
The Ninja
Squire

Next

Return to General Gaming