OR  

Need a game.. And quick.

Discuss all topics related to gaming and non-Elder Scrolls games in here.

Need a game.. And quick.

Postby The Ninja » June 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Leaving the state to my relatives which may or may not have internet. I want to take a good game I haven't played. Something fresh for me.... Fallout 3? Brink? I need some good recommendations. Anything great you can think of, I haven't played them all, folks.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Re: Need a game.. And quick.

Postby Tom » June 16th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Have you ever played Crysis 2? It's a pretty enthralling game. There's also Portal 2, if you haven't played it already.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby The Ninja » June 17th, 2011, 12:01 am

I've seen a lot about Crysis 2. Is it really that awesome?

I have the Orange Box, and Portal is one of my favorite puzzle games. But I've heard a ton of criticism on Portal 2..... Something about being too short and not worth the money. Not sure. Can you clear that up for me?

PS: Keep 'em coming. I'm making a list.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Tom » June 17th, 2011, 12:44 am

The Ninja wrote:I've seen a lot about Crysis 2. Is it really that awesome?

It's not that it is an over-the-top amazing game, but it is quite enjoyable. If you're looking for something quickly that you can play while you're at your relatives' then it may not be a bad bet.

The Ninja wrote:But I've heard a ton of criticism on Portal 2..... Something about being too short and not worth the money. Not sure. Can you clear that up for me?

I don't think those comments are completely accurate. Sure, once you beat the single player and the cooperative campaigns there isn't much replay value to it, but for $50 I would say that it offers enough of a new gaming experience and enough gameplay time that I wouldn't say it's not worth the money. The single player campaign is twice as long as that of Portal 1, so I can't understand what people are complaining about there. What did they expect, 20 hours of gameplay or something? The only criticism I can find with Portal 2 is that the cooperative campaign is far shorter than I had hoped, and after you beat the two campaign modes, it's really void of replay value. I am still happy to have purchased it, though.

As for other games, nothing else really comes to mind immediately that you likely haven't already played.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby The Ninja » June 17th, 2011, 1:21 am

I'll keep Crysis two in mind, most definetely.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior looks like I might like it, but Idk where to get it around here. I'm going to do some looking around. Online matches look freaking awesome, but idk if I'm gonna have internet at the relative's house either. I'm used to non-cable internet cords, AKA, "Ethernet" cables. The relatives have the cable kind, and I don't have a converter to make cable into ethernet....

Skyrim..... It'll be a long wait.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby The Ninja » June 18th, 2011, 10:43 am

At Gamestop, I got Portal 2, Crysis 2, and Sniper: Ghost Warrior all for 84 bucks, plus some special subscription to random stuff they have including a type of point system. *shrug.* Played a bit of the last mentioned game, and it has such potential, but it crappily done..... Haven't touched the other two. But I will.... Oh, I will.

Leaving for *cough* another state *cough* in just over 4 hours..... packing up the xbox....
The Ninja
Squire

Postby The Ninja » July 7th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Been back since Monday. Haven't touched my Xbox at least since then... Been kinda busy, earning money and stuff. But my reactions to the games so far:

Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Haven't played online, which I heard is where the gold is, but the campaign has some cool moments, but the cut-scene's are definitely not cool. It looks like a good game for 2005, but it's rather underdone. It gets choppy when gazing at a lot of foliage, which IS everywhere. The animations are a tad weird, and movement can be a pain at random times when trying to be sneaky. It seems like all the work went into the bullet mechanics, which are pretty nice. Firefights, however, suck. It is NOT call of duty....... All in all, it's worth 20 bucks, max. It should be redone, and if done like CoD, I'd so pay 60.... Such potential, but so poorly executed.

Portal 2
Co-op is fun, and I've gotten somewhat through the single player. I like it, but stopped at a room with three humongous pipes with three different types of goo in them. Haven't progressed any further..... I like it, though, and will continue playing when I feel like it. No online play yet....

Crysis 2
Haven't gotten very far... It's my tradition to play games on the hardest difficulty first, and while doing that, I also try to get whatever achievements I can. The combination of these things hasn't let me get very far, and is really effing annoying. The first time you encounter two trucks with heavy machine-guns on the backs is where I am. Just outside of the multi-level parking garage. I'll try to get farther and focus less on the freaking achievements..... >:/

I didn't have XBOX Live at any time during the trip to AZ... I'll try those out later, hopefully....
The Ninja
Squire

Postby The Ninja » July 9th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Update. Sniper: Ghost Warrior is a BLAST online. I haven't lost a single game, and didn't die until the third match. It seems that I had an absolutely amazing connection, so people picked MY game to join out of all the servers. The problems, in my opinion, are:
They've taken out the wind factor, so now, bullets only drop.. Also, you cannot go prone in multiplayer, for some reason. No throwing knives, just grenades, which can bounce off a fly as if it were a brick wall. I threw one, assuming it'd go through the plant leaf in front of me, but it bounced to my feet. The grenade mechanics in general are like a wiffle-ball. Other than the penetration mechanics which are messed up in nearly every game, I don't see a big problem here. I quite enjoyded the long sniping matches of patience and precision..... Much fun indeed. ^_^
The Ninja
Squire

Postby altmer_monk_0 » July 11th, 2011, 8:19 am

i recommend army of two, its a good single player and co-op player game and its online but i dont recommend playing online cuz the online play sux plus it takes a long of a time to get a match. the story mode is the best though, it has a good storyline, bosses, and u can by ur own weapons and customize them to the extreme with, grenade launchers, shotguns, xtended mags, silencers, custom stox, sheid attachments, and u can buy pimp witch makes ur gun sollid gold wit dimonds. im warning u now that co-op can get realy frustrating cuz every thing relys on ur partner, and there is a lot of gunfire, more than any other game almost. if u like extremely challenging and powerful games with xtreme gunfire and intense speed and graphix this is 4 u. OH I ALMOST FOR GOT, its only on ps3 and x box sadly 8-)
altmer_monk_0
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45
Characters: 3

Postby The Ninja » July 11th, 2011, 10:06 pm

Armoy of Two is very similar to Gears of War, no? I don't like Gears, os no thanks... But I appreciate the recommendation, and keep them coming, plox. :3

Crysis 2 Multiplayer: It can be very fun at times with extreme luck, but I seem to die faster and kill slower than everyone on the opposite team. I favor the stealth-cloak-function thingy (surprise) and like the stealth kills, but everyone is moving too fast (we're in supersuits, so it kinda makse sense) which leaves the aiming mechanics in need of adjustment and polish. Sniping is extremely hard, because it takes at least two shots if anywhere but the head, and moving at those speeds, headshots are almost not possible. The gameplay in general is 100 miles per hour, which isn't very awesome, imho.... I've taken a liking to suppressors. The longer I can not be shot at, the better. The mobility is rather fun, though. My buddy and I were "parkour-ing" from building to building, but since we die so quickly it's rather useless to do so. :/

All in all, it's just enough to keep you interested in some good moment hidden in games and games worth of mediocre gameplay. I still would rather play Sniper: Ghost Warrior, but my buddy didn't have it.
The Ninja
Squire

Next

Return to General Gaming