OR  

What languages do you speak?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

What languages do you speak?

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 14th, 2009, 12:31 am

Sorry for another one of these threads, but I've not seen one fail before (hmm...except when I make them) :oops:

But, anyway, what languages do you speak, and what dialects of them, if applicable? If, say, you speak Scots, and are from Aberdeenshire, then say Scots, Doric. Get me? You can use the categories I've used, or invent your own.

Native: Highland Gaelic, and the dialect is the Lewis-Skye mix that most of the Gaelic-speaking mainland now uses
Fluent: Scots, Doric: English: Irish, Connaught
Reasonable: Manx Gaelic, North: Saami, North
Badly: German, Bavaria: Brezhoneg: French
Might as well just grunt at the natives: Cornish: Welsh, Powys

Meh, I make it sound better than it is...
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Re: What languages do you speak?

Postby Tom » April 14th, 2009, 12:53 am

Well, being from the United States, I can speak fluent English and some Spanish. I have to learn Spanish if I want to keep up with the country as immigrants from Mexico continue to come over. It's not that it's a bad thing, but it's a good reason to learn Spanish.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Xavier » April 14th, 2009, 12:54 am

Yeah, I am fluent with English and know enough Spanish to understand what people say.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Cactus » April 14th, 2009, 1:25 am

I speak no English whatsoever. I am learning to speak German feverishly. I have to if I'm going to college there, eh?
Otherwise I speak maybe 50 words in French, I can count to 6 and say yes in Spanish. A few swear words in Yiddish and American Sign Language, and a few dozen words in a language I made up for a book I was writing a few years ago.

Future projects: Irish, more Germany.
Cactus
Mudcrab

Forum Posts: 6
Characters: 1

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 14th, 2009, 9:52 am

It seems like a lot of Americans are learning Irish. Not the full eighty million Irish descendants over there, but a lot :lol:
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Postby Xavier » April 15th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Cactus wrote:I speak no English whatsoever.

Seems you are pretty fluent with it.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Tom » April 15th, 2009, 8:13 pm

Maybe he can write English fluently but cannot speak it. I've heard of people like that with other languages before.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Kestral » April 16th, 2009, 7:23 am

I only know English.
My encounter with other users of other dialects can be summed up me getting ice cream from the ice cream man.

It went like this:

*Me and my friend here the truck*
*Get our money*
*Run after the guy in Late July Southern Californian weather. IE, HOT. Blister feet*
*Chase for 4 blocks*
"HEY! WAIT"
*Ice cream man stops*
"I'd like that."
*Points*
*Friend follows suit*
"*Spanish gibberish*"
"Huh?"
"*Spanish*"
"English? Abla English?"
"No. *Spanish gibberish*sinco*gibberish*"
"Sinco?"
*Splits payment with fried*
*Walk back to house*
*Find my friend's 360 toppled over with his Dead Rising broken. By my dog*

It looked pretty strange seeing a white boy trying to speak Spanish. :/
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » April 16th, 2009, 3:10 pm

The Spanish are white... :?

My encounter with other users of other dialects

I know the feeling. With Highland Gaelic, there are dialects for every island, and there are ninety islands that are permanently inhabited, a few hundred that are seasonally inhabited, and hundreds more than are uninhabited but the placenames on which may be unpronouncable in a different dialect to the island's own, extinct, one.

Most of the dialects on the mainland are replaced by a combination of the two largest insular ones - Lewis, courtesy of Radio nan Gaidheal, and Skye, courtesy of Sabhal Mor Ostaig. But there are no common words between the different areas of the mainland, because they still borrow different words and still manage to change them.

My other native language, Scots, has a smaller number of dialects, but each of them are drastically different, and are sometimes mutually unintelligible with each other - Gaelic and English are out of the equation!
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Postby J'Ghasta » April 16th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Swedish,a very good english (says other) and horrible french,a few words german, spanish and thai. Count to three in finish and a litlle danish and norway (do no how to spell that)
Jalla Kebab Suddenly

"Vem va de som kasta?"
Skogsturken

Betty bought a bit of butter but the bit she bought was bitter, so betty bought another bit of butter (insted).
J'Ghasta
Protector

Forum Posts: 101

Next

Return to The Lounge