OR  

What is so cool about ninjas?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

Re: What is so cool about ninjas?

Postby The Ninja » July 29th, 2009, 8:43 pm

*Sigh* Look, you may not have heard this before, but:

My uncle has told me all this about ninjas, since he has trained under a ninjitsu master for a decade. They WERE stealthy, they DID adopt/wear black suits, they WERE honor-bound to The Way of the Warrior, they DIDN'T just use farming tools (examples: naginata, kasuri-gama, tekken, hokode, and the main weapon: Ninjato), They used small bows and blowguns for ranged targets (duh), And ninjas trained all their lives to become as stealthy as possible. They are known for being like a shadow; no sound, barely visible, and can disappear at will.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Kestral » July 30th, 2009, 1:18 am

The Ninja wrote:*Sigh* Look, you may not have heard this before, but:

My uncle has told me all this about ninjas, since he has trained under a ninjitsu master for a decade. They WERE stealthy, they DID adopt/wear black suits, they WERE honor-bound to The Way of the Warrior, they DIDN'T just use farming tools (examples: naginata, kasuri-gama, tekken, hokode, and the main weapon: Ninjato), They used small bows and blowguns for ranged targets (duh), And ninjas trained all their lives to become as stealthy as possible. They are known for being like a shadow; no sound, barely visible, and can disappear at will.

And notice how everyone here presents researchable points and facts. Except you.
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229
Characters: 0

Postby The Ninja » July 30th, 2009, 4:55 am

Researchable!? Psh. Something that someone wrote who knows nothing except what he has thought out or read on the internet is not viable. But, taken from an expert (my uncle), THAT, my friend, is viable.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Tom » July 30th, 2009, 5:30 am

The Ninja wrote:But, taken from an expert (my uncle), THAT, my friend, is viable.

Was your uncle a ninja that came here from the past to teach you about ninja facts? ;)
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » July 30th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Look, you may not have heard this before, but:

Okay, now reply to my post ;)

It's impossible to quietly open sliding doors, no matter how much you train. And why would they have needed grappling hooks on a roof that you can easily walk across? And how could this suit you claim they wore allow them to 'disappear at will' against the background of a typical Japanese castle, which were painted white and decorated with light wood?

You don't need to research that - it's common sense. If ninjas did have that equipment, then they were crap assassins. If they didn't, then they were the same as other assassins. Which one is it?
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The Ninja » July 30th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Tom wrote:Was your uncle a ninja that came here from the past to teach you about ninja facts? ;)

No, but he studied ninjas and trained under a ninjitsu master in Japan for around a decade. So, I'd call him an expert.

Ashk. Ashina Zelaku wrote:Okay, now reply to my post ;)

It's impossible to quietly open sliding doors, no matter how much you train. And why would they have needed grappling hooks on a roof that you can easily walk across? And how could this suit you claim they wore allow them to 'disappear at will' against the background of a typical Japanese castle, which were painted white and decorated with light wood?

You don't need to research that - it's common sense. If ninjas did have that equipment, then they were crap assassins. If they didn't, then they were the same as other assassins. Which one is it?

Who said they opened sliding doors? Couldn't they use their smaller bows or blowguns to penetrate the rice paper and kill whoever is inside? And who said they used grappling hooks for roofs of easily climbed houses? I think that they are used for fort/castle assaulting, or swinging a long distance between/around houses. (Example: around :40 - 1:02) And disappearing just means fleeing to cover/hiding or running away completely. The suit didn't do it, but it helped. ;) Especially at night.

I appreciate the fact that this isn't anywhere close to a flaming discussion between you and I. They smilies you have posted makes this known.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby kenshi » July 30th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Gallowglasses could beat the crap out of ninjas, although admittedly they had a different role.

*I lol'd at this. Here's something you can chew on gallowglasses...meet any of the guys on cracked.com. One of my most favorite guys was White Death. All he needed was a bolt-action rifle and a sub machine gun to devastate approximately 500+ soldiers by himself.

You guys need to pay less attention to entire groups and focus more on individual soldiers that smear the floor with your idols.
kenshi
Perma Banned
Beggar

Forum Posts: 29

Postby The Ninja » July 30th, 2009, 10:12 pm

kenshi wrote:Gallowglasses could beat the crap out of ninjas, although admittedly they had a different role.

Bingo. A different role entirely. They were both trained for two completely different types of work.

kenshi wrote:You guys need to pay less attention to entire groups and focus more on individual soldiers that smear the floor with your idols.

Ninjas may be a large group, but they split up on missions and work individually. Normally, that is. Sometimes they work together depending on the mission. But when all alone, they can't all get captured. Like playing hide and seek. If you all hide in the same spot, all of you will be caught at once, but spread out and make things harder and more interesting.

One Ninja versus one Gallowglass? It depends on the situation. If the Gallowglass is wielding what weapon and whatnot.
The Ninja
Squire

Postby Kestral » July 31st, 2009, 5:59 pm

The Ninja wrote:Researchable!? Psh. Something that someone wrote who knows nothing except what he has thought out or read on the internet is not viable. But, taken from an expert (my uncle), THAT, my friend, is viable.

Seriously?

Alright, your uncle is a ninja, but guess what, my dad's a rocket scientist and my mom is a CEO Executive. My uncle also cured cancer. And my grandfather was on the Manhattan Project, and my other uncle trained under the Roman technique.

Everything I've said is from a source (namely: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja) which debunks a good total of what you've said. And if you're going to complain that Wikipedia is not reliable, studies have shown that Wikipedia is more accurate that Encarta. (Oh, by the way, you can research that too!)

I'm relying on substantial evidence, that I can show, you could just be making stuff up, which isn't good for this.

Also, as a dear friend has stated (which slightly fits, although it was the same argument) "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought it was my turn to completely overstate the powers of the guy I prefer..." "Ninjas are not omnipotent. Deal with it."
Kestral
Brawler

Forum Posts: 229

Postby The Ninja » July 31st, 2009, 6:52 pm

Wow. No offence, but, Ignorant willingly? Perhaps. If my uncle took a look at that wiki page, and had a lot of spare time, he would revamp it completely. So, I don't trust wikipedia as far as I can throw it.
The Ninja
Squire

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge