OR  

What is so cool about ninjas?

Relax and discuss any general topics not related to The Elder Stats or gaming with other members in here.

What is so cool about ninjas?

Postby Taylor » July 2nd, 2009, 9:34 pm

I really do not understand. I always see people talking about ninjas, and how cool they are, but I don't see why. I have nothing against this "The Ninja" guy, I am just curious. Maybe you can answer.
Taylor
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45
Characters: 0

Re: What is so cool about ninjas?

Postby Tom » July 2nd, 2009, 10:40 pm

This is probably going to turn into another argumentative topic, so the moderators will be watching this closely. (If you've been on this forum a lot lately, you'd understand why.)
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Postby The King » July 3rd, 2009, 12:30 am

People will pick a certain group of people to idolize or hate or closely follow everywhere(i.e stalk). Some people pick ninjas. There isn't anything particulary extraordinary about them, they're a bit interesting, I'll give them that much. Personally, I just follow soccer, but that's just me.
"Nothing hurts my world,
Just affects the ones around me
When sin's deep in my blood,
You'll be the one to fall."-Avenged Sevenfold
The King
Brawler

Forum Posts: 220

Postby Xavier » July 3rd, 2009, 2:21 am

I guess it's because they are stealthy and wear a cool black outfit that covers their whole body except for their eyes. They also have various weapons such as swords and have good acrobatic skills. I personally used to love Ninjas when was I was younger but I don't care for them that much anymore.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby The Ninja » July 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm

Xavier wrote:I guess it's because they are stealthy and wear a cool black outfit that covers their whole body except for their eyes. They also have various weapons such as swords and have good acrobatic skills. I personally used to love Ninjas when was I was younger but I don't care for them that much anymore.

That is almost half of it. Once you get into context, there is a ton of things to learn about them.

Since I've heard this from my uncle, who was TRAINED AND TAUGHT by people in Japan about Ninjas, I will say what he had to say about them first.

My Uncle wrote:The ninjas started out as the "Honor Guard" of the Emporer for quite some time. But he soon noticed that they were becoming powerful, how few there were compared to his Samurai Legion. So, he sent the samurai out in fear, of course, to try and wipe out the ninjas. a little over half of them were killed in the surprise attack, but the others fled. They wandered from village to village, teaching little self-defense tricks as they went to earn money.

That is just the beginning of Ninjas. But, to narrow it down for you, I like them because of these things:

1. They are good at athletics and acrobatics. (I love acrobatics, I sometimes do a flip off of my roof and quite a few more tricks, but anyway...)

2. They have a martial art called "Ninjitsu." (If you see it in action, it is all based around speed and counters, which you don't need much stregnth to perform.)
3. They have an arsenal of tools. (Smoke bombs, black eggs [I've made some of my own ;) ], Grappling Hook [planning to get one in the mail someday...], climbing foot and hand spikes, flash bombs, poisons, and sometimes [rarely] a claw that may be used for climbing or fighting.)
4. They have an arsenal of weapons. (Ninjato [a sword similar, but shorter than a katana, for stealth purposes], world famous throwing stars, kunai knives [I have a few; they are not always used for throwing, but for spike to jam into your enemy at close combat. Similar to the style of the wristblade in Assassin's Creed], nunchakus [not a fan, personally], the "sai" [very speedy and very nice... ;) ], kama [not a fan], and the claw mentioned above may be labeled here.)
5. They are stealthy and fast, (though they are good enough to not need the stealth part) making their attacks quickly and swiftly over with. (I really dislike the movies that make them look so horrible. The Last Samurai comes to mind.)
6. Playing off #5, if someone comes out of nowhere, why do we call them ninjas? It is a cool feeling, right? (Like, "Whoa, how did you get there, you're a ninja!")
7. Very sleek, light-weight, and black suits that cover all but the eyes and hands. (My uncle let me put his on; it has pockets and things inside for shuriken and kunai. Though real ninjas wore regular (commoner) clothing, this suit is even cooler.)

I could go on and on, but I guess that it is a matter of personal preferance. They are just a cool, sleek, swift, deadly, and stealthy package.

I leave a few more clips for you...

Ninjas in battle!

Ninjitsu Master

Fight Science - Ninjitsu

Human Weapon - Ninjutsu Techniques
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Postby Grayfox » July 4th, 2009, 4:18 am

Some Ninjas played great roles in Japanese history, but, I see them as assassins, and nothing more.

I love history, west europe, east asian, but, I have always seen them as assassins, and really they weren't that much better than everyone else. Just my opinion, I have nothing against Ninjas, and I bet Ninjas lasted a while too, considering Japan was isolated till the early 1800's I believe.

And, a lot of people really don't know much of them, they were secret, the island was isolated because of the samurais. And they really aren't an impact, and most of them weren't.

I take them as assassins, and do I adore them? no.

People use this term "Ninja'd", which doesn't make sense, and there are crap shows made about them, and they were really just assassins, and nothing more.

I have nothing against them, but, that's my opinion.

Yea, of course every ruler is afraid of assassins, especially a group of them, that knew everything about him. They are assassins, assassins carry tools, weapons, have athletic ability, and mostly everything but martial arts.

The martial arts deal was Japanese culture, mostly. Still, it shows you there fighting ability wasn't all as good as everyone thinks. They couldn't hide from the samurais. and they couldn't beat them.

Ninjas are Japanese Cultured assassins, and nothing more.

There were other very skilled assassin groups of many cultures, but, the Japanese culture makes them look cool.

Also, about their fame, Ninjas come from Japan, and many Anim'e show producers are Japanese (have you not noticed.)

Thus, obviously every young kid likes cool looking Japanese Culture assassins, with the knives and stuff. Ninja's are more famed than other assassins, because of their culture, and the anim'e shows and what not.

So, most kids growing up in this Era like Ninja's. because of the production thing.

Do most people know their history? No, they don't. They just think they look cool, and the media enhances their thought, my sometimes overdoing it on the shows. Even if it isn't overdone, it still gives them more fame.
I come from the BGS forum. I'm a writer.
UNITED BRETONY: The Hills and the Highlands
-a part of the "TESUS" universe. Website coming soon.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1074408&st=0&start=0
Grayfox
Protector

Forum Posts: 111

Postby The Raven » July 5th, 2009, 9:45 am

Xavier wrote:I guess it's because they are stealthy and wear a cool black outfit

Not.

That's the stereotypical ninja.

I dunno what the "real" ninja looked like, I just know that they did not wear those black suits.
The Raven
Protector

Forum Posts: 100

Postby Xavier » July 5th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Yes, the stereo typical Ninja, the one everyone knows about.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Ashk. Ashina Zelaku » July 5th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Gallowglasses could beat the crap out of ninjas, although admittedly they had a different role :D
The Empire is a confidence trick. Do you, the famed warrior races of Tamriel, having won international renown for your fighting prowess, consider yourselves and your abilities inferior to those of money-grabbing merchants and diplomats in armour?
Ashk. Ashina Zelaku
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 97
Characters: 2

Postby The Ninja » July 7th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Grayfox wrote:And, a lot of people really don't know much of them, they were secret, the island was isolated because of the samurais.

True, but that isn't the only reason. They were very good at keeping secrets, as well as spreading them as rumors. So Ninjas keeping their secrets + Samurai helping keep ninja secrets = Total SECRETNESS. (I feel retarded, but that was the word that popped into my head. :roll: )

Grayfox wrote:People use this term "Ninja'd", which doesn't make sense, and there are crap shows made about them, and they were really just assassins, and nothing more.

Why do we use that term? Because they were the greatest (or close to it ;)) assassins that lived!

Grayfox wrote:They are assassins, assassins carry tools, weapons, have athletic ability, and mostly everything but martial arts.

Yes, but ninjas were most dangerous. Not every assassin has those skills. Only a few of them.

Grayfox wrote:The martial arts deal was Japanese culture, mostly. Still, it shows you there fighting ability wasn't all as good as everyone thinks. They couldn't hide from the samurais. and they couldn't beat them.

... OMGosh... Yes, they were known for defeating samurai! And Ninjitsu is one of the most lethal and dangerous martial arts. That is a fact, because it takes jujitsu, and judo and ninjas and makes something insane.

Grayfox wrote:Thus, obviously every young kid likes cool looking Japanese Culture assassins, with the knives and stuff. Ninja's are more famed than other assassins, because of their culture, and the anim'e shows and what not.

Not quite. But about the kids liking them, OF COURSE! That only makes sense that the coolest assassins should be favored the most.

Grayfox wrote:Do most people know their history? No, they don't. They just think they look cool, and the media enhances their thought, my sometimes overdoing it on the shows. Even if it isn't overdone, it still gives them more fame.

I don't know about the "media," but I will trust my uncle and what his teacher taught him.
The Ninja
Squire

Forum Posts: 771
Characters: 4

Next

Return to The Lounge