OR  

Posting Ranks

Post discussions, suggestions, your opinions, and feature requests for The Elder Stats in here. Discuss the site with other members and developers, alike.

Would you like posting ranks to be instated on The Elder Stats forum?

Yes, I would!
50%
No, I wouldn't.
20%
I don't care either way.
30%

Total votes : 10

Posting Ranks

Postby Tom » February 10th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I made this topic to see who would be interested in have posting ranks instated on The Elder Stats forum, and if so, what the names of some of the ranks should be. For those of you who don't know what posting ranks are, they are user ranks on a forum that are assigned to each member depending on how many posts they have, and once you reach a certain milestone in your post count on the forum, you are automatically promoted to the next highest rank. No new added responsibility comes with a posting rank promotion, but I think it would be a nice feature for members to have in order to get some activity and fun brewing in the forum community.

So, vote in the poll and post your thoughts on what you think some of the names for the posting ranks should be. So far I'm assuming that any member who has under 5 posts would have the rank of "Beggar", and after that we would go to "Citizen" and so on. What are your suggestions?
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Forum Posts: 880
Characters: -2

Re: Posting Ranks

Postby The Edgy Redguard » February 11th, 2009, 1:13 am

I have a few reasons why I shall vote no. For one, ranks bring upon the need to post for many newer members, wanting to gain respect of their cohorts, which inevitably leads to unecessary posting and more work for the Moderators. I had an incident with a Certain color of Fox, ;) where we implemented posting ranks. Day through day he grew to over 40 posts per day. all replies such as "Ha" or " :P " and other One-worded nonsense and overuse of " :ugeek: ".
It is human nature to want to be accepted, and newer members believe this is obtained through ranks and post counts, in fact, I could almost say abolish post counts altogether. Maybe a Coins or Stars type thing. As popular as this site is going to be, People will post flood for "respect" but in the end, this is your website, and you may do as you choose, just my two cents
Last edited by The Edgy Redguard on February 11th, 2009, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Hawking: I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.
The Edgy Redguard
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 88
Characters: 1

Postby Tom » February 11th, 2009, 2:30 am

Well, any member who post floods useless posts will have moderation action taken against them according to The Elder Stats Rules and Guidelines. However, I understand your concern. I've never been the head of a popular site or forum before, but I know that as The Elder Stats begins to get more popular, we're going to need to make it as easy as possible for the moderators to do their jobs. I'll wait to see what others have to say about posting ranks before instating them.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Xavier » February 11th, 2009, 4:01 am

I voted yes, only because I like posting ranks and I like coming up with them, even though I won't have one. Also, posts such as: "Ha" or " 8-) ", are pretty dumb and hopefully we can maybe install a mod where you have to have at least maybe 20 or 25 characters for it to count as an actual post.
Xavier - Elder Stats Co-Founder & Graphic Designer
Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Website Statistics
Xavier
Co-founder
Squire
Co-founder

Forum Posts: 513
Characters: 6

Postby Joe » February 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I think that it might attract members to post more. But like you said it may lead to spamming, but if that happens it would be deleted and a reasonable punishment will be issued. So if they are aware of that, they wont post stupid and useless posts. I think its a good idea.
Joe
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 91

Postby Tom » February 11th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Joe wrote:but if that happens it would be deleted and a reasonable punishment will be issued. So if they are aware of that, they wont post stupid and useless posts.

That's what I was thinking when I was reading The Edgy Redguard's post, too. If we just make it known that spam will not be tolerated, describe to them what we consider spam, and delete any spam posts and warn/ban the spamming members accordingly, I think everything should be fine. A little incentive to remain active in the community is never a bad thing, in my opinion, and posting ranks would be a good tool for increasing activity on The Elder Stats.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Taylor » February 12th, 2009, 1:58 am

The Edgy Redguard wrote:I have a few reasons why I shall vote no. For one, ranks bring upon the need to post for many newer members, wanting to gain respect of their cohorts, which inevitably leads to unecessary posting and more work for the Moderators. I had an incident with a Certain color of Fox, ;) where we implemented posting ranks. Day through day he grew to over 40 posts per day. all replies such as "Ha" or " :P " and other One-worded nonsense and overuse of " :ugeek: ".
It is human nature to want to be accepted, and newer members believe this is obtained through ranks and post counts, in fact, I could almost say abolish post counts altogether. Maybe a Coins or Stars type thing. As popular as this site is going to be, People will post flood for "respect" but in the end, this is your website, and you may do as you choose, just my two cents

That basically explains the purpose of moderation. I am all for posting ranks. They encourage users to be more active, and if they spam, there are moderators on this forum that can easily take care of any problems that may arise.
Taylor
Citizen

Forum Posts: 45
Characters: 0

Postby iron spartan101 » February 17th, 2009, 8:28 pm

i think we should post ranks they would be kool. by the way i just want to say how much i am lovin this site i am now on it like everyday.
iron spartan101
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 67

Postby Tom » February 17th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Well, 71% of the people who voted in the poll in this topic voted for the installation of posting ranks. I'm assuming that most people want them, so I am going to go ahead and give them a try. Now, it's time to come up with some good names for each rank and the amount of posts it will take to get to each rank. If anyone has any suggestions as to what the names of some of the ranks should be, please post your suggestions in this topic.
Tom
Founder
Knight
Founder

Postby Joe » February 18th, 2009, 12:34 am

Well obviously they will have to do with Oblivion, so I think that one of the higher ranks should be Emperor. The lowest rank could be some thing to do with jail because that's were you start out.
Joe
Adventurer

Forum Posts: 91

Next

Return to Site Feedback & Discussion